The award winning Engage programme returns, offering you the chance to explore academic networking, public engagement with research, and outreach activities using digital technologies, like social media. The lunchtime sessions kick-off next week with sessions about:
- the OxReach crowdfunding platform project, and the considerable engagement required for successful crowdfunding and crowdsourcing;
- and about collaborating with Wikipedia to engage outside the University.
Watch out also for workshops on VR, and impact measurements for public engagement on social media, as well as exciting visits to the Ruskin School of Art, and the screening of the documentary film “Meeting in no man’s land”.
Many of these Engage sessions showcase work done by the IT Innovation Challenges, facilitated by Academic IT.
The Engage programme includes:
- 7 February 2017 engage: OxReach – Crowdfunding for Oxford University, about the OxReach crowdfunding platform project, and the considerable engagement required for successful crowdfunding and crowdsourcing. Led by Zoe Reich, Philippa Nuttall, Sarah Deakin (Oxford University Innovation) https://oxreach.hubbub.net/; Description | Booking link;
- 14 February 2017 engage: Diversify your teaching with digital tools. This is a birds of a feather networking opportunity for teaching with technology, about getting together teaching staff to meet colleagues, for fostering of a community of sharing experience, knowledge, skills, and digital tools, and to raise awareness of the University’s Digital Education Strategy. Led by Jocelyne Hughes, Continuing Education; Lucy Tallents, Zoology, (both from the SHOAL project); Xavier Laurent and Steve Burholt, both learning technologists in Academic IT Services. Description | Booking link;
- 15 February 2017 engage: Creating a web content strategy, about how to get visitors to engage with your website (specifically looking at The Ashmolean Museums and the Oxford MOSAIC web content management platform. Georgina Brooke, Gardens, Libraries and Museums (GLAM) group; Description | Booking link
- 28 February 2017 engage: Wikipedia and Wikimedia for public engagement, about collaborating with Wikipedia to engage outside the University, led by Martin Poulter, Bodleian Libraries Wikipedian in Residence; Description | Booking link
- 1 March 2017 engage: The form of publishing – on experimenting with academic output, about (O A R: The Oxford Artistic and Practice Based Research Platform, (an online journal and research platform). Anita Paz (Ruskin School of Art); Description | Booking link
- 7 March 2017 engage: The Go Girl: code+create project – using digital technologies to reach out to young NEET women, about how go_girl: code+create is tackling the problem of the under-representation of young women from non-traditional academic backgrounds who apply to the University, (work which aligns with Oxford’s targets in its agreement with the Office for Fair Access). Led by Anne Geniets (Education), Melanie Jewell https://gogirloxford.org/; Description | Booking link
- 8 March 2017 engage: Introducing Oxplore – Oxford’s new outreach portal for schools and young people, about how OxPlore plans to reach young people by using the same digital and social technologies they use every day. Led by Alex Pryce, Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach; Description | Booking link
- 21 February 2017 engage: Wikidata for engaging your students and the wider public by visualising research. [Isis, Thames Suite, IT Services 13 Banbury Road] Led by Martin Poulter, Bodleian Libraries Wikipedian in Residence; Description | Booking link
- 24 February 2017 engage: Virtual Reality in education about engaging apps, technologies, and techniques for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). [Evenlode, Thames Suite, IT Services 13 Banbury Road] Led by Harry Jordan (Experimental Psychology), Chris Paton (Tropical Medicine), Simon Purins (Age Exchange), Richard Smith (Bodleian Radcliffe Science Library), Fridolin Wild (Brookes University); Description | Booking link
- 3 March 2017 engage: Improving Wikipedia in your subject area, [Isis, Thames Suite, IT Services 13 Banbury Road; Led by Martin Poulter, Bodleian Libraries Wikipedian in Residence; Description | Booking link
- 10 March 2017 engage: How to measure social media impact – practical. [Isis, Thames Suite, IT Services 13 Banbury Road] Led by Alun Edwards, Academic IT Services and Michaela Livingstone-Banks, MPLS with guest speaker Martin Hawksey (Chief Innovation, Community and Technology Officer at the Association for Learning Technology (ALT)“; Description | Booking link
Ruskin School of Art
- 17 March 2017 engage: Tour of Ruskin School of Art Bullingdon Road studios, led by Jon Roome. NOTE: Location = Ruskin School of Art Bullingdon Road studios (map) Description | Booking link
- 17 March 2017 engage: Screening of Meeting in No Man’s Land. Film screening : David Savill, Age Exchange. NOTE: Location = Ruskin School of Art Bullingdon Road studios (map) Description | Booking link
Watch this space along with the Engage Facebook page and follow #OxEngage to hear all the latest updates.
Image credits: VR – with kind permission of Xavier Laurent; Engage logo – Kate Lindsay.