#OxEngage is a series of lunchtime talks and half-day workshops about digital techniques for outreach and public engagement. Highlights for Social Sciences staff and students could include:
In this video the Go Girl: code+create project uses digital technologies to reach out to young NEET women.
- engage: OxReach – Crowdfunding for Oxford University, about the OxReach crowdfunding platform project, and the considerable engagement required for successful crowdfunding and crowdsourcing. Led by Zoe Reich, Philippa Nuttall, Sarah Deakin (Oxford University Innovation) https://oxreach.hubbub.net/; Description | Booking link; Tuesday 7th February.
- engage: Diversify your teaching with digital tools. This is a birds of a feather networking opportunity for teaching with technology, about getting together teaching staff to meet colleagues, for fostering of a community of sharing experience, knowledge, skills, and digital tools, and to raise awareness of the University’s Digital Education Strategy. Led by Jocelyne Hughes, Continuing Education; Lucy Tallents, Zoology, (both from the SHOAL project); Xavier Laurent and Steve Burholt, both learning technologists in Academic IT Services. Description | Booking link; Tuesday 14th February.
- engage: Virtual Reality in education about engaging apps, technologies, and techniques for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). Led by Harry Jordan (Experimental Psychology), Chris Paton (Tropical Medicine), Simon Purins (Age Exchange), Richard Smith (Bodleian Radcliffe Science Library), Fridolin Wild (Brookes University); Description | Booking link; Friday 24th February.
- engage: The form of publishing – on experimenting with academic output The form of publishing – on experimenting with academic output. Led by Anita Paz (Ruskin School of Art) http://www.oarplatform.com/. Description | Booking link; Wednesday 1st March.
- engage: The Go Girl: code+create project – using digital technologies to reach out to young NEET women. Led by Anne Geniets (Education), Melanie Jewell https://gogirloxford.org/ Description | Booking link; Tuesday 7th March.
- engage: Introducing Oxplore – Oxford’s new outreach portal for schools and young people, about how OxPlore plans to reach young people by using the same digital and social technologies they use every day, and the big questions academics can ask. Led by Alex Pryce, Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach; Description | Booking link; Wednesday 8th March.
- engage: How to measure social media impact – practical. Led by Alun Edwards, Academic IT Services and Michaela Livingstone-Banks, MPLS, with guest speaker Martin Hawksey (Chief Innovation, Community and Technology Officer at the Association for Learning Technology (ALT)“; Description | Booking link; Friday 10th March.
In addition there are many more events including a number of public engagement workshops using the platforms of Wikidata,Wikipedia, and Wikimedia.
Many of these Engage sessions showcase work done by the University’s IT Innovation Challenges.