My Leicestershire Digital Archive is a collaborative project bringing together digital resources relating to the history of Leicestershire and make these available online. Project partners include University of Leicester Library, the East Midlands Oral History Archive, the Media Archive for Central England, the Rothley Heritage Trust and the Leicester Industrial History Society. The first phase of the project, funded by the JISC, aims to “create the bases of a digital collection of local history resources for Leicestershire” (from the project website).
My Leicestershire Digital Archive will hold digital materials of different kinds and from different times with the common feature that they relate to the history of Leicestershire. In the first phase of the project, a ‘base archive’ will be created by digitising or, if already in digital format, migrating some existing collections that have been identified as meeting a user need. These include oral history interviews, radio programmes, photographs, trade directories, books, and videos. Community contributed material will also be added to the Archive. For this work, the project is working with local history organisations.
The Archive is already making some of its material available online. The growing collection can be searched or browsed on a dedicated website at http://www.myleicestershire.org.uk/.
For more information about the project, please read the:
- Project blog with project news and discussions of related issues
- Project plan describing Phase 1 of the project (funded by JISC)
- Workpackages for Phase 1 of the project (funded by JISC)
- Calcutta Pumping Station, Swannington by Keith Drury. From
Leicester Industrial History Society (LIHS), available via My Leicestershire Digital Archive under the licence: http://creativecommons.org/licences/by-nc-nd/2.0/uk/
- A bit of vanished Leicester. By George Moore Henton. From University of Leicester Special Collections, available via My Leicestershire Digital Archive under the licence: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/uk/